Every year for Mother’s Day, I make my mom scones. This year, while I can’t celebrate with her in person, I’m keeping the tradition alive and dropping these off so we can enjoy them together, but separately. These Baking Therapy lemon scones are buttery, super easy to make and just scream springtime! Spread on a layer of the tangy lemon curd to take these scones to a whole new level.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Rest Time: 45 hours
Bake Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Servings: 18 x 2-inch rounds or 8 triangles
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
3 Tbsp white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
1 ½ Tbsp lemon zest (about 3 lemons)
225 ml buttermilk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp milk
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the butter to the mix by rubbing/crumbling it between your fingers. Work quickly so the butter stays cold, you want pea-sized bits throughout. Add the lemon zest.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract.
3. Create a well in the middle of the dry mix and pour in the buttermilk mixture. With a fork, start to work the dry ingredients into the wet until the dough starts to come together, it will be a bit shaggy at this point.
4. Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface, flour your hands and begin to press the dough together. Form a rectangle, about one inch thick. The dough in half and stack it on top of one another. Repeat the process three times, dusting with flour if the dough gets too sticky.
5. Finally, roll out the dough to about ¾ inch thick. Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, out your scones. Make sure to press straight down, this will ensure the scones will rise straight up as they bake.
6. Place the scones on a lined cookie sheet and place in the freezer to firm up for 30-45 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 375°F.
8. Mix together the egg wash ingredients and brush the top of the scones with it. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, depending on the size of your scones, until they rise and are beautifully golden brown on the edges.
Tip: You can make these scones ahead of time. Once the scones are frozen on the cookie sheet, transfer to a freezer-friendly plastic bag or container. Bake from frozen for 12-15 minutes.
9. Serve immediately with your homemade lemon curd or your favourite jam.
Tangy Lemon Curd
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Rest Time: 2-4 hours
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes to 4 hours, 15 minutes
1 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
1 stick butter
1. In a medium saucepan on medium-high heat, whisk together the sugar, eggs, lemon juice and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. When the mixture starts to bubble, whisk in the butter, one Tbsp at a time. Bring the mixture to a boil again and let it bubble for 1 minute.
2. Remove from heat and strain the lemon curd. Place plastic wrap directly on the curd and refrigerate until it sets, about 2-4 hours.